Tuesday, April 14, 2009

So, people die?

The cycle of life. Birth, life and... death. Easter brings us hope, yet I have been struck by the fact that people still die. You may believe that you will see them again, but they still die. This past week has brought the news of 3 officers being killed in Pittsburgh, a teenage son of a pastor getting killed in a car accident, a mother and 3 month old infant dying in a tornado... Closer to home, both of my grandmothers are getting "up there" and starting to have more and more significant health issues. I, myself, have been relatively free of dealing with the death of a close loved one. I've had great aunts and uncles die, and an estranged grandfather, but no one that I actually mourned. I am very blessed, yet very unprepared. Despite my faith, I must say that death still scares me. There are people in my life that I do not know how I would go on if something happened to them... but the problem is that it is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when... They will die. We will all die. And the end of the story is that all that matters is what you did with Life. What am I doing with my life? Is it significant? And the answer right now is I'm not sure. I hope I will. I want to appreciate my opportunities more and make more of each day. Because they are limited. They will end.

2 Comments:

Blogger amy louise geertz kriss said...

ERIN,
You are raising two beautiful children! You are VERY valuable not only to them, but to our whole extended family. I AM SURE your life is significant!!!! You are a very bright spot in our lives!
Love you,
amy louise

9:05 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Your right death looms ahead for all of us but do not dwell on that. It is sad the passing of those officer and the babies and the little boy with swine flu, but it is not to be dwelt on. How you live is very true and remember that the most significance you can have is presenting Christ to your children. I had a youth group girl ask me once why women shouldn't be pastors and I answered her very plainly seeing for the first time that minute why, its because we have children and are already the shepherd of a flock. Remembr teh chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. Give that to your children and you will never doubt your significance again. Love you for thinking deep thoughs.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home