Saturday, January 03, 2009

Death of Christmas

I hate this time of year. The next three months will be very challenging for me. I think I could be diagnosed with Seasonal Depressive Disorder or whatever the official name of that is called (Can you believe I was a psych major? Throckmorton would be ashamed.) where the treatment is tanning, aka light therapy. It's the melancholy that sets in when this:


Becomes this:


And all you can do is vacuum up the pine needles.

It's when you look ahead and all there is to look forward to is work. Working out to get in shape after all those Christmas cookies. Working at work until the end of May because there are no holidays. Working in your house because there's a constant stream of muddy footprints and shedding hair. Resolutions to spend less money, eat out less, buckle down and pay down debt and other similarly less than exciting challenges to face. I used to have my January birthday to look forward to, but now that various numerals are going to fill in the 3X space, it has somewhat lost its ability to cheer me up.

While I face this every year, it seems especially strong this year because we had such a nice holiday season. N. was more aware and excited about Christmas. We spent a lot of good times with family. We relaxed at home without an agenda. M. had a lot of time off work and we just really took it easy. So, there was no "relief" that Christmas was over. It wasn't hectic or annoying and nobody got in a fight with anybody else. :)

It's also that time of year in Pittsburgh when the weather plain sucks. It gets REALLY cold, but doesn't snow. It warms up enough to RAIN. I HATE RAIN. It is grey, grey, grey every day until you really aren't sure you can take it anymore. It is UGLY. It's why I go stark raving crazy with spring fever come April. If only I could take my whole family with me and move to San Diego...along with Pittsburgh's cost of living...

As that's clearly impossible, be aware that a little blue rain cloud has parked itself above my head. Things may be a little gloomy over here at flimsy dress. Come cheer me up!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kerri Smith said...

i live from winter weather advisory to winter weather advisory now. just a hint of inclement weather gets me excited.
yeah, it's that time of year...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

What i hate about pittsburgh is that it's just cold. we never get more than a dusting of snow. so, it's the cold weather without the fun of snow and NO SUN. ugh. is state college the same??

7:29 AM  
Blogger stella g. said...

you should move out to el paso! (that's the only time i will EVER say that.) it's sunny 360 days a year. the other 5 it's a little cloudy with a touch of rain. oh, but that wind!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

karen,
i'm thinking el paso may be the other extreme! I hope you can handle 9 months in august down there! yowza!
i need to live in yakima, washington state where they still have 4 seasons, but lots of sun!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Lindsay Louise said...

i don't get it. coming back from philly, i'm surprised how little sun we see. reminds me of what hazeme said to robin hood, "is there no sun in this cussid country?" our answer, no. not for another several months. :( let's move!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

i can't wait for April!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home