Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Death of a pump

Full time breastfeeding while working can definitely present its challenges. I am lucky to have my own office where I can shut the door and take care of business without feeling awkward. Granted, there was that one time the cleaning lady walked in on me, but other than that, I've had no issues having the time and privacy to pump milk for the kiddos. The pump on the other hand... geesh. I bought my first pump on ebay for something like $100. But the person who sold it wasn't exactly honest and I thought I was buying a pump in style, and instead I bought an older model, called the double ease. Now before someone lectures me, yes, I do know that you're not *supposed* to buy used pumps because the milk can get in the pump... Can and DOES. I am fortunate to not have an issue with milk supply, and several times, when I wasn't paying attention (because I was reading someone's blog!) I over pumped the bottle and milk got into the lines and thus into the hose and machine (and then all over me. And it stains!) I'm guessing this isn't really good for the pump because recently my well-worn good friend just stopped creating suction. This happened once before and we took her apart, cleaned her up and she was as good as new. However, this time, after the same process, it just didn't sound right. I had the forboding feeling that we were close to a complete break down. And what would I do? Spend $380 on a new one? Try to bid on another on ebay and pay for overnight shipping? Well, my cousin's wife also recently had a baby and unforunately, her job is not conducive to pumping. She tried for a while, but she had to use the bathroom and it just wasn't working out for her. So, she offered to let me borrow hers. Later that same day, my old friend died again. So, I took her up on her offer, and now I am using a very attractive and super fast pump in style! I didn't know what I've been missing all this time. It has a cool looking bag, it creates a lot more suction and pumps so much faster! I've cut my pumping time in half! While I miss my old friend, the double ease (smaller, works on 2 batteries, etc.), I am so relieved not to have to buy another one and so impressed with the new one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Happy said...

It's funny what kind of post will make a mostly lurker turn into a commenter...

I have a pump in style but a much older model I also got second hand. It's bigger than the newest one I've seen (which is so small I didn't actually believe it was a pump at first) and bigger than the previous model before that.

It has super duper suction and I love it. I've had to replace the power cord to it twice. My best friend just finished using it and I'm not sure whether it will get me through my next baby or not...I'm crossing my fingers that it will because new ones are so expensive!

I could write an entire post on pumping at work...geesh! You are lucky to have privacy for that. I was a "closet bathroom pumper" myself for a long time.

Good luck with your new borrowed pump!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Rebecca,
I really wasn't even sure why I was even writing a post about a breastpump... except that it was extremely traumatic to me. I had almost a whole week of, "what in the world will I do if I have to buy a new one???" They are really ridiculously expensive. I can't believe you were able to pump in a bathroom, though, if I was in a different situation, I'm sure I would have done whatever was necessary!! Thanks for posting!

1:00 PM  
Blogger stella g. said...

so i don't work and won't have to do the pump-in-the-bathroom-thing, but now you've got me thinking about breast pumps. hmmm.... i guess i should add that to the list.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hey, Karen,
It kind of depends on how you feel about formula and what your supply is like and how you feel about having a drink or two... no matter what, you probably won't need the super duper one if you'll just be a casual 'pumper.' Email me if you want more info...

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home