Wednesday, March 04, 2009

i promise

When I say that I hate February, I really, really mean it. And when February lingers into March, I start to get angry. When I got up on March 2nd with many errands to run with 2 snotty nosed, ear infected kids and saw the thermometer reading 12 with a windchill of -5, looked out the window to see more white stuff coming out of the sky, I was mad. Four days into this month, and it's yet to get over 20 degrees. This has been a long, hard winter. I am tired of lugging kids around with blankets and big coats and hats and gloves. I'm tired of running out in my slippers to start the truck and make sure it runs for at least 10 minutes to even start to get the chill out. I'm tired of leaving in the dark and getting home in the dark...
But there is hope. I don't have to leave the light on outside anymore. There are little green things coming out of the ground in the flower bed. There was talk of what to put in the garden this year. It may be slow this year, but I'm guessing Spring really will come in another couple weeks. I am dreaming of light sweaters, muddy grass, daffodils and robins. I cannot wait to give the old treadmill a break and head outside with the big double jogging stroller. I cannot wait for that first dinner we have outside in the yard. There's the long days, the warm sun, the anticipation of growing things.
This promise I make you: I will not utter one complaint about the heat of summer. I have made this promise before and kept it, even pregnant. I will savor those sweaty moments.

3 Comments:

Blogger stella g. said...

that's a great promise! but i don't think i will attempt it for myself... :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

your heat will be a little different than pgh heat!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I too am ready for winter to be done. I confess that this year I have really felt the winter blues! I don't know if its in anticipation of Hawaii or what but I am really sick and tired of cold and snow. I too will promise not to complain about the heat because my het will be nothing like Karen's! But also because I am really tired of the cold! I want fresh air my whole family needs it, Sarah is sitting in teh other room coughing at the moment we just need to air this place out!

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home