Wednesday, July 30, 2008

34 weeks


So, I haven't been saying much about this pregnancy. I think I've been in some kind of weird haze that I have all the time in the world to get ready for this baby. However, the calendar is now talking back to me... It's saying things like, "7 weeks is LESS than 2 months. Two months go by in about a second these days." And, "There's no guarentee that this one will wait until it's due date. Those Braxton-Hicks contractions you're having already could well mean s/he could be early." Early. I can't possibly imagine. N. was a week late.
I think I finally took the hint over the weekend and busted out the newborn clothes and washed them all. I took inventory of what I need... certainly NOT sleepers, blankets or washcloths! Onsies and new bottles are on the list. I broke out the breast pump and made sure it was still funtioning after 18 months of retirement in the basement. I need some breastmilk bags. I borrowed a bassinet.
I am going to try really hard to keep this baby out of our bed, though part of me is really saddened by this. I feel like I'm not being fair. N. still sleeps with us for a few hours in the wee sma's. I feel like our bond is so strong partially because of the co-sleeping. But the other part of my brain reminds me how annoying it is to try to sleep with a toddler. How annoying it is to take up to an hour to get her to sleep at night. Ahh, but should my annoyance alter my instincts? I really don't know. Practically, though, there's just not any more room in our bed! I couldn't possibly have a newborn in our bed with a 2 year old. Somebody is bound to roll off.
Then there's N. herself! I really think this is going to be a difficult transition for her, despite all the talk we are always doing about the baby. Where the baby will sleep, how the baby will eat, how she can help with the baby, that the baby will come out of mommy's belly, etc. She's all enthusiastic until I say things like, "these are the baby's clothes," and I get, "No, Mine!" Or, "this is the baby's bed", "No, MINE!" But mostly, I worry about her having to share me. She still strongly prefers mommy for everything and will often throw insane, untypical tantrums if daddy does things instead (putting her to bed, giving her a bath, etc.) So, while I know it will all work out in the end, I'm trying to prepare myself for some unusual behavior from her in the first couple weeks. I've been trying to get to the bookstore to pick up some recommended reading for preparing for a sibling, but haven't made it there yet... and the clock keeps ticking...

7 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Wow - great picture!
It's always an adjustment adding another baby to the fam - don't feel bad about doing things differently. I don't think that not having the new baby in the bed with you will make you feel less bonded to her/him at all. Just think about what's healthiest for the rest of you. It isn't a bad thing if your new one isn't sleeping with you, just like it wasn't a bad thing that Nadia slept with you. Nadia will have to make some big adjustments and I would say you need to start soon getting her used to Marcin doing bedtime and stuff like that. It will get easier, but if you wait until after the baby comes you'll all be stressed and it might make Nadia not so happy with the new arrival. Just some thoughts - as always, I know you'll figure out what works best for your family!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

thanks for the advice. we've been trying to have m. do more with her so she's used to it, but his schedule is so wacky that it's hard sometimes. i really am having a hard time imagining NOT co-sleeping. it just seems so natural and easy for those 3 times a night feedings. we'll see. i'm trying to imagine actually being awake enough to put the baby back in the bassinet!! we'll keep you posted...

8:48 AM  
Blogger stella g. said...

that is such a sweet picture, Erin. i can't fully relate with all you're going through since i don't even have one, but i would probably be asking alot of the same questions. i think what Megan said is true - taking care of yourself is important since a stressed out mom makes stressed out kids. you'll be great!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

thanks, karen. I have a few more, but they were not "internet friendly." If anyone's interested in preggo pics, let me know. i'll email them to you separately.

9:38 AM  
Blogger stella g. said...

i would like to see them - email please!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'd love to see your pics! Also - look into a co-sleeper that attaches to the bed. That way you don't have to get up, but the baby doesn't have to actually be in bed with you and you still have space...

4:29 PM  
Blogger stella g. said...

oh yeah - emily had one of those with gabe...

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home