Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gardening

I've been meaning to get to this post for a while, but I kept forgetting to take pictures.
Here is my garden about a week after I planted it in late May:




It contains: 12 tomato plants (3 different kinds), green peppers, jalopeno peppers, habenaro peppers, cayenne peppers, brazilian hot wax peppers, another kind of pepper I don't remember, onions, green beans, cucumbers, squash and zuchinni. It will be a mother-load, particularly of peppers, if all goes well. Here are some close ups:


We also have three rows of raspberry bushes, a blueberry tree and a wild patch of black berries that I'm trying to tame a bit this year. I also tossed 3 strawberry plants in with the black berry patch and am wishing them good luck, but they may not make it. One did have a strawberry on it, but I haven't been attending to them very carefully.
Since these pictures were taken, there's been a lot of growth. The squash and zuchinni are going crazy. I'm hoping I gave them enough room. There are lots of tiny peppers everywhere and the tomatoes are flowering. I'm crossing my finger on the tomatoes because I've planted them every year (4 now) and I don't think I've ever gotten a full size ripe tomato. Something always seems to happen to them and they either don't grow or they never ripen. I've been wanting my own tomatoes to make salsa with and I even planted some cilantro as well, in a planter with basil. Both of those are doing well. So, I'm crossing my fingers for a great yield of veggies. It will be a nice little offset to my grocery bill... that I can put towards gas. :(




5 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Your garden looks great. When you were listing what was in it I was thinking SALSA! I was right! ANy chance you could whip up a batch for our get together? Tomatoes are the one vegetable we always have success with, but this year the lettuce has done well and the broccoli seems alright. Not so sure about the peas/beans/cucumbers. I would love to plant blackberries and raspberries - we had one that didn't get enough sun and died so I need to be scouting out a good place.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Megs,
I don't know that we'll have anything ready in the next three weeks, but I could certainly make some salsa anyway. At least the cilantro would be home grown! Our berries get full sun and do great. They're not ugly plants so maybe you could stick a couple up front??
Erin

9:25 AM  
Blogger Kerri Smith said...

DANG.
we always end up with hundreds of hungarian wax peppers and a few times a summer do a pepper stuffing party and fill our freezer for the winter. if you're into hot stuff, let me know and i can get you the recipe.
(can't wait to see you in a few weeks!)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

kerri,
any recipes for hot peppers will be cool because i have NO idea what we are going to do with 3 rows of hot pepper plants...
erin

9:33 AM  
Blogger stella g. said...

wow - i'm so inspired by everyone and their gardens. yours looks so organized! i can't wait to see more pictures as it grows. and i'm all for the salsa!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home