Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Much anticipated; much disappointed

I honestly can't believe I'm about to write this, but I was indeed disappointed with the Over the Rhine show last Friday. Perhaps I had too much enthusiasm going into it, but that enthusiasm was based on the past 20 times I've seen OTR live... It's always a good time.
To be fair, part of the problem was certainly the venue and the lack of communication about whether or not there would be an opener and the fact that apparently they had to be off the stage by 8 something in order for the club to set up for, well, clubbing. So, when we showed up at 7:20 expecting to see the end of the opening act, we were surprised to find that we'd already missed 5 songs. Then, shockingly, they were off the stage shortly after 8. We only got to see them for about an hour. Perhaps not something to blame the band for, but disappointing nonetheless.
In terms of what we did get to see, there were definitely some different takes on a few songs, such as Ohio, with a lot heavier drum and guitar. Which was cool. But I kind of thought the drummer was a little over the top. I thought the 10 minute (at least it seemed like 10 minutes) drum solo was a bit indulgent and I felt like he was rushing some of the songs to the point where Karin was looking at him frequently with what appeared to me as a somewhat panicked look. Some other people were saying it wasn't mixed well. I'm don't have a good enough ear for that sort of thing, but it certainly wasn't the best they've sounded. I did like the songs they did choose to play and enjoyed them, but it was all just way too short for the $20 admission. I did enjoy seeing them from up above the stage. It was cool to see the ease at which Linford plays those keyboards. And just more of the overall interaction between all the band members.
So, a little bummed about it, but still a big fan. Hope the next show's better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home