Friday, February 29, 2008

Emergency Response

So, Megan was writing about when to teach your kids to dial 9-1-1 and also about "escape plans." Call me paranoid, but I've always been one to try to think of ways to escape danger from where ever I am... Say, what if this bridge collapses? Make sure to open your window right away on the way down so you don't get trapped with the air pressure! What if someone jumps out of the woods at me as I am running on the trail? Kick groin! Scream loudly! Stab him with your keys! One of my personal favorites was when I was running at GCC on the back road by the corn fields. A couple of times I saw hunters out there with guns and my escape plan was... run! run into the corn fields! They will never find you there...
But none of this compares to last summer, when M. was in Philly all week long and I was sleeping at home by myself every night. We had already been trying to train N. to sleep in her own bed, but when he wasn't home, that quickly went out the window. How in the world would I be able to grab her out of her bed and get out of the house if someone broke in? So, she slept with me and I had visions of jumping out windows and sprinting across my large yard, as if I would be able to get to the neighbors house before a band of robbers would catch up with us... simply irrational. Fortunately, we live in a ranch, so fires and such aren't so scary. Just jump out a window; it's two feet.
So, anyway Meg, yes, I have many emergency plans, I'm just not sure how many of them are remotely realistic!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Erin- Does an escape plan need to be realistic or is it really there to get the adrenaline flowing and get you motvated?! I am all for having the plan but the motivation to get moving will just happen too right!
Cindy

10:23 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

cracking up picturing you running through the field wiht nadia! i'm all for plans - if only b/c in the moment it might help you think clearer or bring something to mind instinctively that will help. but all in all - i count on lots of adrenaline. the plans usually develop when i'm home alone and hear strange noises!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

megs,
you have no idea how the 5 months i spent home alone with nadia were. i must have played through every single possible frantic insane attack situation possible. these were often triggered by two dogs barking wildly in the middle of the night at ??? leaves falling? cats moving?? i don't know how people live alone. maybe you get used to it?

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home