Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Domestic

Okay, so I'm not the most domestic person. I don't decorate, I don't do "crafty" things, I barely keep my house presentable and manage to get clothes in drawers and food on tables. I think this is partially because I work outside the house, but it's also not my forte. I don't enjoy most "domestic" things. I cook a lot of the same meals over and over... So, over the weekend, after having some Chinese take out, I decided to look through the cookbook to see how hard it would be to make my own Sweet and Sour chicken.
Let me first say this about most recipes, who has all that stuff in their house? Cooking a variety of meals must mean that you have a variety of foods in your house, and I just don't. Since I don't meal plan (my first fault, I know), there's not a chance that I just happen to have, say, a few leeks lying around in my fridge. So, I get frustrated when I try to be creative and then discover that a special shopping trip would be in store if I wanted to make anything other than stirfry, spaghetti or grilled chicken. (Yes, you all feel bad for my poor hubby... believe me, he doesn't starve.)
That aside, I was pleasantly surprised that the only "weird" thing that I would need to make sweet and sour chicken was a can of pinapples! No strange spices that I'd never heard of, no weird vegtables, just a can of pinapples. On top of that, talk about easy, breezy... this was a very simple recipe. I was thinking that it would be kind of bland because there's really nothing in it, and we tend to like spicier foods, but it turned out delicious and it will graduate to the rotation. If you're interested in the recipe, let me know. If you know other simple, use what you have in your kitchen type recipes, please send them my way!

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric Helms said...

I totally identify!!! Only I don't have the good excuse of working outside of the home... I only work on my dissertation whenever my husband has time to watch the baby. But with the cooking - I know what you mean about the crazy ingredients. I have this one cookbook called something like "Meals with 7 ingredients or less," and I can often find things to make in that, but even that has odd ingredients sometimes. Like, I can't believe there are people who really just happen to have pie shells sitting around the kitchen, just in case they need it...

7:17 AM  
Blogger klh said...

Oh no! I published the previous comment, but under my husband's username!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi KLH,
Thanks for commenting. I have one recipe book entitled "quick and eaxy recipes" and i kid you not, EVERY SINGLE ONE has at least one or two odd ball things in there. They are not remotely quick or easy.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

erin i definitely have some recipes like that - just gotta remember them! i like soups - hearty ones or lighter ones that you can have salad or sandwiches with. if you like soup i'll send you some recipes! oh yeah - they're easy too

4:05 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Megs,
I would love an easy soup recipe. M. really like soup, but i really only make stew and chili... neither of which he's overly fond of...
erin

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home