Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And to think, I went 4 years without a television...

An extremely rare event occured last night in our living room... I saw an episode of "Friends" which I had never seen before. Most of the time, I've seen whatever episode 2 or 3 times previously and know exactly what is going to happen. You may ask why I continue to watch a show I have already seen so many times. A fair question. My husband will frequently overhear the show as he's working on the computer and state with disgust, "I can't believe you watch that garbage." However, the answer is somewhat complex. For one, it is on at 8:00 (usually on some channel) and that is N.'s "witching hour." The hour I spend breastfeeding and trying to put an ornery one year old to bed. Seeing as that can take up to an hour, it's a nice distraction. But, you may ask, why not choose one of the many other new shows that are on at 8:00? Well, I really don't want to get emotionally involved in another show. Ever since CSI disappointed me, I've just not wanted to get "into" another show. And I'm still recovering from when Doug left ER. So, I'd just rather steer clear of another TV addiction. But, it's really more than that. Friends is like comfort food in the winter. Mashed potatoes, roast beef, chili, you know, it's THERE for you. Like that favorite novel that you turn to when you just need a quick fix of romance or fluff. (Anne of Green Gables series, anyone? Side note, I just finished reading "Rilla of Ingleside for the hundreth time.) My Friends are always there for me. I can ususally catch them somewhere anywhere between 7:00 and 10:00 pm. They're good friends. I can easily turn them on and turn them off.
However, tonight I am engaging in a repeat addiction... So You Think You Can Dance? See you on Fox.

7 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I just finished watching tonight's SYTYCD episode. It's going to be soooo tough because most of them did so well. I'm really into it - I get so excited before each performance. As far as Friend's go - my friend Renee is the same way as you - I actually bought her one of the seasons for Christmas. My favorite is catching an episode that for some reason I never saw or only saw once and barely remember! Sorry for the long comment - I gave you some sun advice on my blog (comments)...

8:16 PM  
Blogger Starla Jewelry said...

I'm laughing at your Friends addiction bc on Monday I broke out my season 1 and have been going through it in the evenings. Last night I moved onto disc 2. There is just something about Friends, isn't there?
Karen G.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Mego - SYTYCD was pretty good. I felt bad for the couple that had to do that tango or whatever when she's a foot taller than him. i felt like their choreographer sucked... but i am excited for this season. i read your comments about sunscreen and shorts and t shirts. i wouldn't have thought of that, so i'll definitely go out and her her a couple cheap t shirts and stuff like that.
we'll have to chat more about SYT... as they come! :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Karen,
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a weird Friends addiction! It's just funny and light and a good way to end the night, in my opinion. Not very moral, but then i also have been known to frequently watch the TBS version of Sex in the City, so Friends almost seems PG compared to that...
I wouldn't want the box sets because i may never leave the house! :)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kerri Smith said...

i agree! although i was admittedly a "Friends is too promiscuous snob" in college, i've changed my ways a bit. i prefer Seinfeld, but Friends is a close second.
American Idol was my indulgence/addiction, whatever you'd like to call it, and now that it's over, that's it for me. it's too big of a commitment to get into a show, although SYTYCD is quite good.
Christian just upgraded our Dish so that he could get Fox Sports Pittsburgh to feed his own Pirates addiction, which is what i'm watching now, while he's in the other room doing a computer project. :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger greg milinovich said...

just a random question...

does ANYONE in the known universe watch C-Span?

just wondering.

greg.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Hi Erin!
I'm Megan's friend, Renee, and I just had to extend my sincere appreciation for your "friends" post! I'm also addicted, and must confess, I will always watch a re-run of Friends over almost any other show (almost), and will even flick back and forth from a favorite show of mine, to Friends (tonight for instance, when SYTYCD was on, and so was the episode of Friends when Monica and Chandler were getting married!) - Yay for Fans of Friends! :)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home