Friday, June 01, 2007

On Sleep and single parenting

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy getting into bed when I'm tired, doing a little light reading and then, poof, I'm out. Sleep is a good thing. You wake up feeling so much better. So, what is it with kids? Why do they act as if sleep is the worst evil they could ever encounter and they fight to the death. Right now, Nadia is in her crib screaming her head off, and has been for 15 minutes. This, after I spent 30 minutes getting her to sleep. As soon as I attempt to dump her off into the torture chamber that happens to be a very comfortable bed, she freaks out. She's exhausted. She's been cranky and frustrating all day. GO TO SLEEP. I just don't get it.

In other news, I will complete my first week of single parenting later this evening when M. returns. It was a short one. Next week will be short as well, as I am flying out Thursday for his best friend's wedding in NJ. I have to tell you, it's kinda hard. And I work. Which is like a break. That sounds terrible, but I'm not exactly sure how you SAHM's handle kids all day, every day. I'm not exactly the biggest "kid person," so maybe that's part of it. But those days when she's cranky and clingy and can't do anything on her own? Good Lord. And this week, I didn't even have anyone to dump her on and take a break. And I've got 7 months like this. I am extremely fortunate to have all sorts of family near by to lend a hand. If it wasn't for that, I couldn't do this. Single parents have to be the most incredible people in the world...

2 Comments:

Blogger Starla Jewelry said...

I'm sorry it was a rough first week. I have a feeling it'll get better. I'm glad you get to have the weekend with Marcin!
Karen

10:07 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I have a good friend who's a single mom and I feel dumb when I complain to her about things being tough. Believe me, sometimes I would love to work, but I don't have the family around to help. How is Marcin doing at his new job? Any thoughts on where you guys want to live..? Keep me updated!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home