Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Futility

Most of you know that cleaning isn't my forte. I can't say that I hate it. And before, when questioned about my cleaning issues, I really didn't have a good answer for why I don't clean more often. Because, there really aren't too many things better than a clean, sparkly, good smelling home. But as I was vacuuming the other day, I think it dawned on me... I hate cleaning because it is an entirely futile exercise. The second I put the vacuum cleaner away, I could easily find hair all over the floor. The minute I dump out the mop water, some creature will walk across my white (white?? who makes a kitchen floor white??) kitchen floor and leave behind their footprints. Nothing lasts. Not even for a couple minutes. I believe if I could clean and have it look nice for a week, or even a couple days, I might not loathe it so much. But when your hard worked hours are ruined in minutes? What's the point?? It might as well just stay dirty. With two dogs, a cat, a baby and a neat-challenged husband, it's just too much of an up hill battle. I had come to terms with my dirt before N. arrived, but when she started crawling and rolling all over the floors, it was just gross. She's be covered in dog hair. Her knees and socks would be brown. So, lately I've been fighting the battle a little more intensely, and it's a little better, but I'm still not sure it's worth the effort. I can't wait until she starts walking so I can go back to my old ways...

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Having a dog that sheds definitely adds to my cleaning woes! I often use the same word about cleaning. I feel like I spend alot of time cleaning and within minutes, the toys are back out and clothes are thrown around. For me it's not as much the actual dirt, but the clutter, that is my downfall. I'm surrounded by it....

11:16 AM  
Blogger Kerri Smith said...

hey Erin - i recently had a cleaning revelation... i wasn't ever too dirty, but i never really enjoyed cleaning. i got myself all caught up in "why isn't my husband helping me" "why do i have to do it all" "why why whine whine." i know how much better i feel in my house when it's clean and no clutter - i've been deciding that when i clean that i'm going to enjoy it. i know how much it blesses Christian when it's neat in the house and it's so much more peaceful. granted, no kids yet, just a small dog who shreds kleenex every time we're not looking, but it's enough to keep me busy. all that said, i found when i started to change my attitude, things got better and it's been neat how Christian has stepped in and helped with random things without me even asking. amazing!
(oh and i've been gleaning off of a friend who is a professional organizer which has really helped - she's already given me back several hours per day - just silly little things that i was never taught that have saved me SO much time! www.roomtobreathe.us)

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home