Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Attack of the killer mold

Mold is foul. It smells bad, makes my allergies go crazy, and just plain creeps me out. Apparently, word has spread among the spores that I'm a weak one and they all decided to attack. It begins with my basement. We started working on finishing part of the basement when I thought my MIL was going to be staying with us indefinitely. We only have 2 bedrooms and with a baby on the way, we needed more space. After getting the drywall up, we had a huge rainstorm, and, you got it, the basement leaked. It had leaked before in another area, but we fixed that problem. Now, it seemed like we created another one by putting tons of screws in the concrete to hold up the drywall. Well, you know how mold works. The drywall got wet and within a couple weeks, a spot of mold appeared. I knew that it would only be a matter of time, but now, a large corner of our basement is black with disgusting mold that makes me sneeze everytime I go down there.
Next, we went on the reunion with my friends from college and we had a basement room that reeked of mold. It was all over the exterior walls and trim. Sleeping near mold freaked me out even more.
Next, I opened a cleaned bottle of N's to find the lid totally corroded with mold!! How does that happen?? I threw it away. Not taking any chances there.
Next, I went to open the floss because I had eaten corn on the cob, and mold was growing inside the floss box! Granted, I don't floss all that often, but come on! That's weird!
Then, the final topper... I pulled out my breast pump Monday to pump at work and there was mold growing INSIDE THE SUCTION TUBES! I know only nice, Christian ladies read my website, so I won't write out what was going on in my head when I made this latest discovery. It was quite profane. Seriously, I know moisture collects inside the tubes, but mold?? What is going on here? I'll take any comments or suggestions!

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I just have to say I'm glad you thought there was mold in the bedrooms at the lodge, because we thought so too but I think we were in the minority - maybe it was just those rooms. I'm surprised about the mold on the breast pump tubes - I was not super careful about cleaning mine and I never had that problem.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Megs,
There was definitely mold all over the walls down there. It totally freaked me out.
I sterilize/clean the pump parts a lot, but I don't do much with the tubing. And now that it's in there, I can't get it out. Even if I sterilize it, the particles are still in there. Thanksfully, I have another set of tubes. I still just can't figure out why that happened...

9:22 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Because I don't have allergies I don't often pay attention to mold. Until recently that is when Sarah got a little rash on her face I couldn't figure out what it was from. Then the rash was all over her body just a little bump here and there but still...I noticed her bed then and there was mold on her pillow case, then I noticed it one her pillow, then I noticed it on her sheets. What the heck where was it all coming from? So Erin I understand the freakiness of mold a little better now.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home