Monday, August 28, 2006

Reunited... and it feels so good!

This past weekend was full of reunions. Friday night I spent several hours with friends from high school. It was our ten year reunion. I haven't seen some of those people since high school; others I haven't seen in a couple years. Lots of people haven't changed at all and lots of people have changed a lot!
Saturday and Sunday I met up with my annual college reunion already in progress. I was bummed out to have missed Friday night with them, but it was good to see everyone. I really can't believe how much the kids change from year to year. It really makes me want to enjoy and remember every day with N. because I know the time will go so fast and before I know it, she'll be a toddler.
One of the great things about getting together with my college friends, most of which have kids of their own, is to see different parenting styles up close. I've admired my friends' parenting styles that I've gotten to witness over the years, and I hope to emulate a lot of them. But what I find most interesting is that despite varying parenting styles, all the kids are pretty darn good. I have some crazy kids in my extended family to compare to, so I do know that these kids are well behaved and respectful. As N. gets older and actually requires parenting as opposed to just care-giving, M. and I need to spend some more time figuring out what approach we're going to take. Spending this weekend with people that I know have similiar beliefs and desires for their children gave us a lot of food for foder. This may sound silly, but I know from reading about training dogs that consistancy is one of the most important aspects of parenting. I think its because a lot of parents are lazy that consistancy is not followed through. So, I hope that when the time comes, I'll be an active parent that follows through, because they will never forget that one time I give in...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

So funny that we had the same conversation following our weekend together. The Lord has definitely blessed our group with precious, precious children! Parenting at times seems so daunting, but I am grateful for God's grace that is so readily available to us! Can't wait to swap stories as Will and Nadia get older!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Kate,
It's funny because until recently we though having a baby was pretty hard. M. made the comment on our trip back that was basically, "This is the easy part. It's just going to get harder and more difficult." And its so true. I'm just so worried that I won't be a consistant parent and create a whiny brat!!
Erin

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Erin,
Consistency does seem like the biggest thing...which is funny b/c Paul and I constantly joke about how we are always changing our mind as we figure out the baby thing.Pacifier, no pacifier. Cry it out, intervene. The list could go on. Even with a wealth of info and practice, it is still trial and error! But, we are already praying about discipline for W. and for how to address his little heart as he gets older. A lot of my friends read Sheperding a Child's Heart and said it has some great ideas. We just started it...I'll let you know!:)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home